Monday, December 17, 2012

Thailand 2012: Day 7

Today's highlight, Purr Cafe, the one and only Cat cafe in BKK!


I woke up and wander around by myself today. The guys wanted to go explore the floating market, and I thought maybe they are sick of seeing me already haha. I decided to walk around Siam Square. It’s an outdoor shopping area with a lot of little shops. I didn't really care to buy the clothes that much even though they have tons of nice clothes here. I'm mainly here to search for the food that I can't get when I'm in America :p. The moment I got there, I saw someone selling Kanom TangTaek! It's not really authentic, but good enough since it's so hard to find nowadays. The more authentic ones look like this. I was still so happy! I got one and ate it and walked down the street and saw Mr. Tea which has very good Milk Tea, so I got one milk tea with really yummy pudding in it. Now I'm all hyper because of all the yummy things. There is also a store that has been there forever that is famous for their Kanom Krok Singapore which is like a pandan mochi. Also, I really love orange juice in Thailand. It's very sweet and tastes very different than oranges in the US and in Europe. It's made from oranges with green skins that are called "Som Keaw Wan" which literally translated to "Orange Green Sweet" :)
Kanom Tangtaek, Tangtaek cart, Mr. Tea's milk tea with pudding
Mr. Tea's store front, Tangtaek cart, mini sausage roll, Pandan kanom krok
Pandan Kanom Krok shop, street carts, orange juice
I also walked by a cute little shop that specializes in Mangoes. Isn't it cute? I bought mango icecream with mango pieces. I think the mango icecream at Swenson is better, but it's seasonal. This one isn't too bad. Thai mangoes are so sweet.


Then I decided to go to MBK to walk around and get some food. MBK food hall has good food. I got Thai boat noodle from a place that makes really good broth and was sitting down taking a pic of my food and suddenly, I heard Italian talking that sounded familiar so I looked up and it was Cristian and Stefano. Lol what a coincidence. So we sat together and ate lunch at MBK food hall. Diego’s and Cristian got Tom yum. Diego seems to really really like Tom yum. Gianpaolo just seems to like everything. He eats everything lol. He’s really making the best out of the trip. I hope they are enjoying their time in Thailand. After lunch, we split up again. I think they went to the spa to get massages and then in the evening they had a boat dinner on Chao praya river.

I mentioned before that the malls in Thailand are all a little different. MBK is famous for their electronic goods and purses. This is probably the most popular malls to buy gifts from. The shops are smaller than Emporiums and are closer together. Things are not spread out, but are all cramped together.
There is also a famous place here called "Mont Nomsod" that has the best traditional Thai toast with condense milk.
After MBK, I met up with Pailin and went to K village. She bought me a pretty hairband :). We walked around and then decided to go back to play with her son. We stopped by a newly opened place on the way called "Purr Cafe" and OMG.. i was soo hyper. It’s a cat cafe! argghh! So cute So fluffy, so playful! The moment I got in there, they all came towards me as if they knew that the crazy cat lady is here. Everyone was staring at me all confused as to why all the cats seemed to be coming towards me lol. It was so funny and slightly embarrassing because of all the stares. Anyways, with my kitty special voodoo magic, I got the cats to be super hyper. I think the other customers there had fun taking pictures too.

Can you see my happiness?
Needless to say, we were sidetracked and stuck there for a while, so by the time we got back, the baby was already sleeping. Pailin and I decided to go eat dinner at Maru with her husband. It's one of their favorite sushi place.


Then we went to Roast. It's famous for the strawberry waffles. She was also craving chicken from Bonchon chicken which was in the same complex. This is interesting. In thailand, usually food in the same square can be ordered and eaten elsewhere. In this case, she wanted chicken from Bonchon Chicken but waffles from Roast. She ordered chicken from Bonchon, and had them brought it to our table at Roast so we can eat both famous dishes from both places at the same time! Awesome right? That waffle was pretty darn amazing.. look at the picture :o~~~ Also, another cool thing about Thailand is that all the restaurants delivers. This includes Kentucky fried chicken, McDonalds, and even sushi places. You can get them to deliver to your house.
Roast's famous strawberry waffles.

No comments: