Monday, February 17, 2014

Grocery stores & Jet lag

I haven't blog in a while, but I decided that this is a good time to start again because I have just moved to Denmark. I'm still waiting for my work permit, so for now, I'm settling into my new home, unpacking, and exploring. I have been to Billund twice, and I've always thought the people in this town are super kind.

It's 3:44am though. It's my third day here, and I'm still super jet lagged. I'm going to try to wake up early tomorrow and see if I can make it to Aarhus which is the bigger town. There is an Ikea there and I'm sure I will be able to find a transformer or power adapter. Maybe I'll be lucky and find a nice pet shop too! *fingers crossed*.

I'm almost done unpacking. Seriously, when I first came, I thought I'd brought way too many boxes, but now I'm so glad that I brought that many. It's because when you are in a new country, you really don't know where to go for anything. I was staring at the dishwashing liquids, not knowing what to buy (not being able to read the differences doesn't really help either).
Boxes

The boxes:
Mom swore by the Balikbayan boxes from her store. She said it's the exact size that the airline requires and many people would go there to buy it and she was right. It IS exactly the size that Lufthansa required (36" of W+H+D), so I only had to worry about the weight(23 Kilos per box). In the end, I had about 10 boxes packed. Mom threw in a bunch of instant noodles lol. She is so sweet. She kept saying to bring as much as I can because things will be expensive in Denmark and it's a hassle to have to go buy everything there when I don't really know where to go. My mom is an experience traveller because my grandfather was an ambassador for the UN. My mom traveled to many countries and she spoke 7-8 languages. She totally tossed too many things in my boxes when I wasn't looking. After 3 days of being in Denmark, I wish I had brought more things. It is much nicer to have things you are used to with you and slowly buy new things rather than trying to look for a bunch of things all at once.

Teardrop Cabbage, what is it?, Aarhus, Bear Baloney

Grocery Stores:
There are 3 different grocery stores near my place: SuperBrugsen, Fakta, and I forget the name of the last one lol. I don't really know the differences between them yet. Stores here usually close by 6pm. So early! Cashiers sit down and the customers have to bag their own grocery. I had a hard time using my credit card here. It seems that you either need to use cash or Danish bank cards.
Mysterious "Hamburgerryg" Meat. It's hard when you can't read.

No comments: