Sunday, February 8, 2015

Quality vs Deadline

Recently there were issues at work that causes some delay. We wanted something to look better, so we ended up pushing the deadline to make sure that it's aesthetically as nice as possible. Despite all the stress and causing a train of delays (because when one thing is late, everything other department that comes after that is affected as well.), I'm still glad that we chose to do so. I feel like it's annoying to rework things, but when the product comes out, I will be very proud and happy to see it on the shelf versus knowing that something could have looked much better will be on that store shelves forever. Although, in the end, I think we could have avoided the whole delay if we just started everything a bit earlier. I guess we learnt from that.

Coincidentally, the same issue happened to my personal product as well. The manufacturer ran out of the material and I was asked to make a choice. Either pick a different material that's not as nice to keep the deadline, or have them re-order the material that I wanted, but it will be almost a month delay. I debated a bit because I felt really bad that my customers especially the ones that have pre-ordered are waiting. In the end, I chose the delay. I knew that to me, the final product is the most important. Truthfully, unless the customers can see the comparison of the two materials like I can, they would never be able to tell nor be upset about it, but it still matters to me. I know it and I want my product to be the best it can be. I guess that's a good thing about a smaller scale personal product though because I am not causing horrible trains of delays in other department.

I really love designing products of my own. It's very fun to see the process and it's very rewarding when my customers are really excited about it. I don't know if it will ever grow to be something bigger or not, but if it will ever become something bigger, I know I definitely do not want to compromise the quality. I'd only sell something that I'd want to buy myself.

My Nephew buried in plush dolls. Baby Yeti is still the cutest to me.

No comments: